- Career Highlights
- B.M.E., Morehead State University
- M.M., New England Conservatory
- Tours as leader, sideman, and clinician include Italy, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Poland, Panama, Cuba, Peru, South Africa, China, and the U.S.
- Notable performance venues include Wally's Jazz Club, the Blue Note (New York and Milan), Smalls Jazz Club New York City, Kitano, Shapeshifter, Beantown Jazz Festival, Jazzhus Montmarte, and the Kennedy Center (D.C.)
- The Kevin Harris Project albums: The Butterfly Chronicles (2007), Freedom Doxology (2008), Chapters (2010), Museum Vol. 1 (2013)
In Their Own Words
"When I meet a student for the first time, I try not to prescribe a particular teaching philosophy or what I think they should learn but instead I do my best to understand who they are, where they're coming from, what their musical background is, and where they want to go."
"My own musical roots were watered in Lexington, Kentucky. There, the black gospel experience was my first and most important music education, forming firm roots that I would later confidently plant into the important traditions of swing and Afro-Carribean-based music, in performances with Greg Osby, Francisco Mela, Eddie Gomez, Avishai Cohen, Jason Palmer, Jerry Bergonzi, and Terri Lyne Carrington to name a few."
"I realize that each student at Berklee also brings a very special history of their own, and I have the opportunity to mold, water, and inspire that talent so that their roots may also grow strong. We educators at Berklee have the privilege to pass on the same joy and knowledge to our students that was passed on to us."