"Professional Writing has to do with all the music that is composed. We try to encompass all the styles that are happening today, all the way from contemporary classical to hip-hop. Although we work with older music, our focus is on what's happening now—which keeps us on our toes. There's been a real blending of musical styles, and Berklee is a perfect place to do that because we have so many faculty experts in all these areas."
"Another component of what we do is prepare every student in the college with music writing and analysis. The Harmony Department is here, and every student has to take four semesters at least, and most will end up taking Writing Skills or Arranging. It's really kind of the foundation for all the musicians here."
"Technology is a huge part of what we do. To be successful, you have to be savvy with technology. If you're a film scorer, you're expected to present a high-quality demo just to get the gig. They want it to sound like the real thing or very close. Songwriting, same thing. The better your demo, the better your chance of getting heard. That's why a large part of the curriculum in all the writing degrees is learning the applications, all the way from composition software to sequencer programs to synthesis programs, so students can create and edit their own sounds."
- B.M., Diploma, Berklee College of Music
- M.M., Georgia State University
- D.M.A., University of Maryland
- Composition awards from the Vienna International Full-Length Opera Competition, International Red Stick Composition Competition, London Chamber Group’s Piece of the Year Competition, San Francisco American Art Song Competition, National Association of Teachers of Singing Art Song Competition, GASTA String Quartet Composition Competition, Composers Guild Composition Contest, Alienor Harpsichord Composition Contest, ASCAP, Stetson University, Florida Council for the Arts, and the Jacksonville Symphony
- Compositions published by ISG Publications, Yelton Rhodes Music, Throckmorton Press, and KARD Music
- Compositions recorded on Capstone Records, Lakeside Records, University of Maryland Recordings, Trutone Records, and Stetson University Press
- Composition performances and commissions by the CORE Ensemble, Jacksonville Symphony, Cellobration, Vienna State Opera, Stephen Robinson, David Bjella, Beth Newdome, Boyd Jones, Nandkishor Muley, Cuartetto Latinoamericano, London Chamber Group, Society of Composers, Daytona Beach News Journal, College Music Society, SEAMUS, and many professional, university, and college ensembles
- Bass and cello performances with Ictus, Jerry Tachoir Quartet, Dan Matrazzo Quartet, Nandkishor Muley, V. K. Raman, Panaiotis, Orlando Philharmonic, Florida Space Coast Symphony, and the Brevard Symphony
- Region IV cochair and National Council member, Society of Composers, Inc.; board of directors member, Asian Cultural Association
- Former associate dean and Almand Chair of Composition at Stetson University; former teacher at Montgomery College, American University, University of Maryland, and Frederick Community College
- Former director of the Stetson Digital Art Ensemble and Stetson New Music Ensemble