Jim Odgren is a professor in the Woodwinds Department at Berklee College of Music. He is an alto saxophonist who doubles on tenor and soprano saxophones and flute. Throughout his career at Berklee, he has taught in the Performance Studies and Woodwind departments.
A Berklee graduate, Odgren toured throughout the world and recorded two albums (Easy as Pie and Picture This) with the Gary Burton Quartet from 1980–1983. Since then, he has recorded and/or played with Kevin Eubanks, John Scofield, Kenwood Denard, Jim Kelly, Victor Mendoza, Oscar Stagnaro, George Garzone, and many others. In 1989, he received the Dean of Faculty Award for his work in improvisation at Berklee. In 2002, Odgren released the album Her Eyes. He is author of the instructional DVD Accelerate Your Saxophone Playing, and coauthor of Berklee Practice Method: Alto Sax and Baritone Sax.
- Career Highlights
- Alto saxophonist
- Member of East West Standard Time
- Performances with Gary Burton, Steve Swallow, and Joanne Brackeen
- Recordings with Gary Burton, Hiromi Uehara, Vinnie Colaiuta, Antonio Sanchez, Victor Mendoza, Michael Brecker, and Jim Kelly
- Major publications include Saxophone Quintet Arrangements and Berklee Practice Method: Alto Sax and Baritone Sax
- B.M., Berklee College of Music