Guitarist Jane Miller is also a composer, arranger, and author with roots in both the jazz and contemporary acoustic guitar worlds. Her first book, Introduction to Jazz Guitar (Berklee Press/Hal Leonard, 2015), is for guitarists of all styles. Her follow-up book, Triads for the Improvising Guitarist (Berklee Press/Hal Leonard), is scheduled for release in 2019. She is a contributing editor to Acoustic Guitar magazine and a former monthly columnist for Premier Guitar magazine. The Jane Miller Group has released four CDs, most recently Boats in 2018. Her solo guitar recording, called Three Sides to a Story, was released in June of 2013.
Miller has performed and conducted master classes and clinics around the world. In addition to leading her own jazz instrumental quartet and performing as a solo jazz guitarist, she has worked in a chamber jazz trio with saxophonist Cercie Miller and bassist David Clark, for which she contributes many compositions. She has recorded over 70 video lessons for jamplay.com, providing lessons in jazz guitar. She is a featured guitarist in noted jazz journalist Scott Yanow’s 2013 book, The Great Jazz Guitarists: A Complete Guide.
- Career Highlights
- Leader of the Jane Miller Group, with five CDs, all with international radio play
- Guitarist with the Miller-Clark-Miller Trio, a chamber jazz trio featuring saxophonist Cercie Miller and bassist David Clark
- Performances in clubs, concerts, and festivals regionally and nationally with singer-songwriter SONiA disappear fear, in addition to multiple regional radio and television appearances
- Solo guitar recordings include Boats (2018) and Three Sides to a Story (2013)
- Contributing writer for the magazines Acoustic Guitar, Classical Guitar, Premier Guitar, and Guitar Sessions, and contributing editor to Acoustic Guitar
- Former jazz columnist for Premier Guitar magazine
- Author of Triads for the Improvising Guitarist (2019), Berklee Press/Hal Leonard; and Introduction to Jazz Guitar (2015), Berklee Press/Hal Leonard
- Featured in The Great Jazz Guitarists: A Complete Guide by Scott Yanow
- Awarded the Massachusetts Arts Lottery Grant for performance of original compositions
- Private lessons with Mick Goodrick, Emily Remler, Rich Falco, and Mark Marquis
- B.M., Berklee College of Music
In Their Own Words
"I like my students to come away from my lessons and classes equipped to solve musical puzzles on the guitar. I like them to feel inspired to practice and write and arrange music in their own style after working together, to unlock the necessary concepts and techniques that will allow them to confidently contribute as working musicians."