"I was very fortunate to study at the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz Performance. It was an amazing opportunity, because we learned directly from the masters—many of whom are no longer with us in person. Hopefully their spirit, vision, and values live on in each of us."
"Here at Berklee I teach private lessons to piano majors. I'm very impressed with my students. They're all very gifted and from all over the world: Korea, Cuba, Sri Lanka, Canada, the U.S., etc. They each come from very different backgrounds and training, yet here they all are at Berklee wanting to learn more about jazz. This really speaks to the global impact of this great American art form."
"Even though Berklee is a huge institution, I like how each department has its own personality and culture. I like how the Piano Department encourages diverse approaches to teaching and performance while maintaining a cohesive curriculum and high standard of excellence. I think in this case sheer size, the ability to hire so many faculty, is an asset. Another thing I find very impressive about Berklee is its commitment to technology, especially in terms of software and experiences for students in the studio. I think what students have at their disposal is just staggering—it really is all at their fingertips."
- B.M., M.M., University of Texas at Austin
- Diploma, Thelonious Monk Institute
- Leader of Helen Sung Quartet
- Member of T. S. Monk Sextet, Monk on Monk, Mingus Big Band, and Terri Lyne Carrington Mosaic Project
- Performances with Clark Terry Big Badd Band, Steve Turre, Ron Carter, Regina Carter, John Patitucci, and Wayne Shorter
- Recordings include Going Express, Reconception, Sungbird after Albéniz, Helenistique, and Push