- Career Highlights
- B.S., Economics, University of Maryland, College Park
- B.M., Professional Music, Berklee College of Music
- M.M., Boston Conservatory
- D.M.A., Jazz Studies, University of Southern California
- Recordings include Portrait: The Music of Charles Mingus, SingusMingus: A Jazz Lieder Program, The Sacred Music of Duke Ellington, African American Spirituals and Arts Songs
- Spoken-word artist with national touring company of the Langston Hughes Project: Twelve Moods for Jazz
In Their Own Words
"I think one of the most beautiful instruments is the voice. I love exploring its different textures and tone colors. I try to motivate my students to develop a solid technical foundation, find an emotional connection to the music, and fuse their interpretations with honesty and integrity."
"I think it's important to teach my students not only the music of great artists like Robert Johnson, Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Duke Ellington, and so many others, but also the history and social context. My joy comes from watching my students grow into confident performers with excellent vocal skills, capable of moving their audiences to a closer appreciation of the beauty of the voice and to a healthy respect for the music."