- Career Highlights
- Performances with Herbie Hancock, George Russell, Gary Burton, Terri Lyne Carrington, Geroge Benson, Nancy Wilson, Esperanza Spalding, New York Pops, Tokyo Symphony Orchestra, and many more
- Performances at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center, Vienna Opera House, Umbria Jazz Festival, Jazz at Lincoln Center, the Blue Note, and many more
- Blue Note label recording artist with credits including more than 16 jazz albums and three concert DVDs
- Pianist and harpsichord player
- Recordings include Outside by the Swing (2005), LACH DOCH MAL (2006), Abyss (2007), Live In Tokyo (2007), After Hours (2008), Bravogue (2008), Runnin' Wild (2009), Forever Begins (2011), Live In New York (2011), Still Working (2012), Because (2012), After Hours 2 (2012), Reminiscence (2013), and Molto Cantabile (2013), published by Universal/Verve
- Recorded three commercially and critically successful jazz trio albums and a concert DVD
- Band leader of the Chihiro Yamanaka Trio
- Music Pen Award 2015: Live In Blue Note Tokyo (Blue Note)
- 2014 Award: Live In Blue Note Tokyo (Blue Note)
- 2014 Gold Disk Award Japan: After Hours (Verve)
- 2009 Jazz Japan Award Album of the Year: Reminiscence (Verve)
- 2012 Swing Journal Award: Abyss (Verve)
- 2008 Swing Journal Reader's pole 1st prize
- 2006 and 2007 Winner of IAJE Sister in Jazz
- 2000 Down Beat Outstanding Performance Award 2000
- B.A., Toho Gakuen School of Music in Tokyo, Japan, piano performance
- Diploma, Berklee College of Music in Boston, piano performance
In Their Own Words
"I like to focus on what each student needs through carefully selected material which has a clear goal for them. My extensive and thorough classical training, paired with my career in jazz, prepared and motivated me to help young musicians find their own voice. I’d like my students to build their musical strength and develop their musicianship fully."
"I'd like to share my performance experience in various settings; solo piano, small and large ensemble, big band, and piano concerto with a whole orchestra. Being a recording artist, I also encourage my students to explore recording experiences."
"Enormous young talents gather at Berklee because of its high level of education and very supportive environment with great facilities that enable students to achieve their goal."