Transferring Credits: Policies and Requirements

Calendar Systems

Berklee operates under a semester-hour credit system. When transferring credit from a university using a different system, the following conversions must be made:

Quarter-Hour Systems

  • 3 quarter-hour credits outside of Berklee equal 2 semester-hour credits at Berklee.
  • 4.5 quarter-hour credits outside Berklee equal 3 semester-hour credits at Berklee.

(When necessary, courses on the quarter-hour system will be combined and transferred as one 3 semester-hour credit course.)

Semester-Hour Systems

  • 2 semester-hour credits outside of Berklee equal 2 semester-hour credits at Berklee (30 lecture hours equal 2 semester-hour credits).
  • 3 semester-hour credits outside of Berklee equal 3 semester-hour credits at Berklee (45 lecture hours equal 3 semester-hour credits).

Official Transcripts

A transcript is considered official only if it is sent directly from a regionally accredited college or university to Berklee; if it is delivered by a student in a sealed and stamped envelope to Berklee; or if it is electronically delivered from an official and secure electronic transcript service such as Parchment or the National Student Clearinghouse. Transcripts that have been opened or faxed are not considered official and, therefore, are not acceptable for transfer credit. Grade reports are also not accepted for transfer credit.

International Transcripts

Transcripts from all international institutions require an official translation to English and evaluation to American college standards by a certified credential evaluation service. The official translation must be mailed directly from the official translation service or delivered in a sealed envelope to the Office of Admissions (prospective and entering students) or to the Office of the Registrar (continuing and returning students). Berklee recommends the following provider of translation and evaluation services:

       Education Credential Evaluators, Inc.
       PO Box 514070
       Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 USA

Note: This translation is required for all international transcripts, with the exception of Canadian transcripts. Be sure to remind any translation service that the translated transcript must include course names, the course credit values, and grades.