Minor in Conducting—Musical Theater Track
The musical theater conducting minor is an organized program of courses for students who wish to focus on acquiring the skills and background to both conduct musical theater and manage the many facets of being a music director in the professional world.
Students must complete the following coursework before beginning the minor and follow the regular declaration of minor procedure as outlined in the Registration Manual. This minor is managed by the Composition Department.
- demonstrate advanced proficiency in general conducting skills;
- demonstrate advanced proficiency in theater conducting skills;
- understand how to cue in and out of free vamps;
- lead and follow singers;
- analyze differences in groove-style and more traditional-style conducting;
- develop knowledge of traditional and modern musical theater history;
- communicate in theater terminology and the language and aesthetics of the theater; and
- synthesize the creative, organizational, collaborative, and managerial skills required to head the music department of a professional production of a new musical.