Herb Pomeroy Jazz Composition/Arranging Contest
The 2020 Herb Pomeroy Jazz Composition/Arranging Contest is a competition open to high school students enrolled in grades nine–12. It is sponsored by the Harmony and Jazz Composition Department in the Professional Writing and Music Technology Division at Berklee College of Music.
The first-place chart will be given a reading by either the Berklee Concert Jazz Orchestra or the Berklee Jazz Composition Workshop Ensemble during the 2020 spring semester, and the award winner will receive a recording of the reading.
The first-place winner will receive a full-tuition scholarship to Aspire: Five-Week Music Performance Intensive. The second-place winner will receive a $2,000 partial-tuition scholarship to the program, and the third-place winner will receive a $1,500 partial-tuition scholarship to the program.
*All winners will have until March 1, 2020, to accept their scholarships to Aspire: Five-Week Music Performance Intensive. If you choose not to accept the scholarship, it will not affect your standing as a winner in the contest.
The entrant must be a high school student currently enrolled in grade nine, 10, 11, or 12.
- Each entrant may submit only one piece.
- The piece can be an original composition or an arrangement. It should be scored as follows:
- For a small ensemble with a minimum of three melodic instruments and a rhythm section, or for a large ensemble with a maximum of four trumpets, four trombones (the fourth should be bass trombone), five saxophones (AATTB, no doubles), guitar, piano, bass, and drums (i.e., a big band).
- A vocal part may be included, but scores that feature voice must contain a concerted section for the band.
- The piece should show the use of transitions and development.
How to Apply
Complete the application form below. You will be asked to provide the following:
- One score and a set of parts (PDF format)
- An audio recording (mp3 format; electronic or acoustic performance)
- A link to your recording (YouTube or Soundcloud)
The form and its materials must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on January 7, 2020.
The winner and honorable mentions will be announced by January 21, 2020. The first-place chart will be given a reading by either the Berklee Concert Jazz Orchestra or the Berklee Jazz Composition Workshop Ensemble during the 2020 spring semester. The award winner will receive a recording of the reading.
This is a printable version of the complete contest rules and details: 2020 Herb Pomeroy Jazz Composition.pdf.