Removing Immigration Flags

Sometimes when students enter the U.S., they are "flagged" by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. If you are repeatedly delayed or pulled into secondary inspection, the officers may not be able to give you specific reason(s) for the flag.

Often students are told that their school can fix this; unfortunately, that is not true. While we can provide resources, we cannot remove a flag placed on your record by a U.S. government office. However, you can request that an incorrectly placed flag be removed from your immigration record.

How to Request "Flag" Removal

Submit a request using the DHS Travel Redress Inquiry Program (TRIP). TRIP allows you to request updates to your immigration record in the following situations:

  • A Student and Exchange Visitors Program (SEVP) Flag
  • When your name matches another person's name on a government watch list
  • When you are delayed at the U.S. port of entry
  • When you are unfairly or incorrectly denied boarding or identified for additional screening at U.S. airports, train stations, etc.

Please note that your international student advisor will do their best to help you, but ultimately it is up to the Department of Homeland Security to remove a flag.

If you have an immigration flag on your record, we recommend leaving extra time between connecting flights in case you are detained at the U.S. port of entry. Remember to present your valid passport, valid F-1 visa, most recent Berklee-issued I-20, and to speak clearly and politely to the U.S. port of entry officer.