In Case of Death or Divorce


Upon your death, your account is payable to your named beneficiary or beneficiaries. Be sure to keep your beneficiary designation up to date.

To update your beneficiary election with Transamerica, complete the Beneficiary Designation Form (Transamerica Accounts) . Use this form to elect persons as beneficiaries for your Transamerica 403(b) account.

To review or update your beneficiary election with TIAA-CREF, contact TIAA-CREF directly.


Generally, you cannot forfeit or give away your vested benefit from the plan. Therefore, in a divorce proceeding, if you are required to transfer a portion of your benefits to your former spouse, you must obtain a special court order called a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO).

As soon as you expect that you might need a QDRO, you and your attorney should contact Transamerica Retirement Solutions (800-755-5801) and/or TIAA-CREF (800-842-2776) to begin the QDRO drafting and review process. By law, Transamerica will administer a QDRO only if it agrees with the plan’s provisions.