Master of Music in Music Production, Technology, and Innovation
Visit valencia.berklee.edu for complete information.
The Master of Music in Music Production, Technology, and Innovation program is a unique project-focused master’s degree program that provides you with a deep knowledge of current practices and innovations in music technology, electronic musicianship, and music production. In the program, you will learn hybrid arranging, composition, recording, editing, sound manipulation techniques, and live interactive performance systems. You will also explore the art and science of musical innovation and case studies of transformative music innovators.
You will apply the principles of innovation to your own advanced music project, which may be a technology-aided composition, a large-scale recording project, and/or live performances that may feature: interactivity; multi-channel audio; digital visual expressions; originally designed instruments and systems; and/or musical applications for web and mobile devices. Other innovations that push the boundaries of music and technology may also be possible for your project.
The goal is to produce a body of work that will prepare you for a career in music technology innovation, composition and production, interactive and mixed media, remixing, electronic musicianship, DJing, software and game development, live performance in solo and ensemble settings, and/or education. Upon completing the program, you will also be well prepared to adapt to rapid changes and new creative directions in the music industry.
This creative, practical, or research project will enable you to make a contribution to the music industry. Throughout the year, you will work on a project, in consultation with your faculty advisor and/or program director, which you will present at the end of the program. Professional-level work will be demanded of you. An examining committee made up of your advisor and one to two other faculty members will evaluate your work.
We seek open-minded, ambitious musicians who want to leverage technology in pursuit of their artistic vision and career goals.
Ideal candidates want to:
- Gain cutting-edge skills in music technology;
- Apply new inspiration and possibilities to their artistic endeavors;
- Implement the principles of innovation to their craft and careers;
- Focus on developing and implementing new and emerging music technologies; and
- Shape the future of music.
Ideal candidates should demonstrate:
- Excellent musicianship;
- Facility with technology;
- Success in both artistic and academic settings;
- A strong work ethic, including prior accomplishment; and
- The motivation to make massive progress in one year.
When you complete the master of music in music production, technology and innovation, you will have the ability to:
- Create innovative music using technology;
- Apply technology to the composition of music;
- Analyze the properties of sound;
- Master critical listening and assessment skills;
- Synthesize studio technologies and techniques;
- Master MIDI and audio production technologies and techniques;
- Perform electronic music live;
- Integrate music and audio into software applications and games;
- Generate and manipulate video in relationship to music; and
- Develop audio in the context of software applications (i.e., coding).