Master of Arts in Creative Media and Technology: Songwriting and Production
The Master of Arts Degree
BerkleeNYC’s Master of Arts in Creative Media and Technology program offers a forward-looking curriculum designed to teach students the tools and strategies needed to thrive in artistic fields that have seen significant disruption, and will continue to change and evolve at a rapid pace.
The core curriculum of this program provides students with foundational knowledge for their careers that address both the business and creative sides of the performing arts.
Specializing in Songwriting and Production
The songwriting and production specialization will explore an integrated approach to the creation of popular music through the thorough examination of current practices in collaborative, technology-aided songwriting.
Students will bolster and refine their artistic expression by analyzing current hit songs and writing music and lyrics, as well as furthering their technical skills through the examination of current writing and production styles and trends, using the latest industry-standard software and hardware in the newly renovated Power Station facility.
Students in the songwriting and production specialization will collaborate with a creative team as songwriters, producers, beat makers, and topline melody and lyric writers in a variety of real-world professional situations. They will emerge with a sophisticated toolkit of creative strategies and an understanding of the interpersonal and business practices needed to succeed in the competitive field of modern songwriting.
We seek a varied group of motivated, creative, and focused candidates with solid academic and professional backgrounds who can contribute a diversity of experience, insight, and skills that will benefit and elevate the program.
Ideal candidates want to:
- gain deep experience in the elements of modern songwriting and production;
- integrate collaborative skills into their existing creative toolkit;
- develop their creative voices and artistic personas; and
- influence and lead the industry into the future as visionaries and entrepreneurs.
Ideal candidates should demonstrate:
- current creative activity;
- excellent songwriting potential;
- prior academic success;
- an embrace of current practices and trends in music and technology; and
- motivation and focus towards advancing their artistry and career.
Upon completion of the songwriting and production specialization, students will:
- employ writing, production, and collaborative techniques applicable to a wide variety of fields;
- analyze and understand the development of current trends across a variety of musical styles;
- develop technical facility across necessary songwriting and production software and hardware, as applied to current creative workflows;
- integrate diverse views and experiences into their artistic creations;
- generate artistic content at a high level of technical proficiency and at an objectively professional standard; and
- lead with a spirit of creative entrepreneurship to sustain a career in the arts that is adaptable, is ethically sound, and creates change.