Courses for All Students
All Five-Week program students are scheduled for the following:
- FWMU-010 Musicianship
- FWTH-010 Theory in Performance
- FWPP-010 Performance Perspectives
- FWEN-010 Ensemble
- FWPI-0XX Private Lesson
- FWSV-0X0 Instrumental Survey Class (voice, strings, brass, woodwinds, guitar, piano, bass, percussion)
- FWXX-0XX Styles Lab (jazz, pop/rock, funk/fusion, pop/R&B)
- FWXX-04X Reading Lab
Departmental Choice Lab
All Five-Week students are scheduled for one departmental choice lab:
- FWVC-05X Performance Skills for Vocalists (voice)
- FWST-05X Improv Lab for Strings (strings)
- FWBR-05X Brass Improvisation Lab (brass)
- FWWD-05X Woodwind Improvisation Lab (woodwinds)
- FWGT-05X Chord Lab for Guitar (guitar)
- FWPN-05X Comping/Improv Lab Keyboard (piano)
- FWBS-05X Bass Line Construction (bass)
- FWPR-05X Technique Lab (percussion)
- FWEP-05X Production in Performance Lab for EDI (EPD)
All Five-Week students are scheduled for one of the following:
- FWEL-010 Songwriting
- FWEL-011 Survey of Production Styles
- FWEL-012 Scoring Visual Media
- FWEL-013 Jazz Composition and Arranging
- FWEL-014 Music Business
- FWEL-015 Electronic Production and Design
- FWEL-016 Groove Essentials for All Instruments
All Five-Week students may have one optional elective (subject to availability):
- FWEL-020 Singer-Songwriter Workshop
- FWEL-021 Song Demo Production
- FWEL-022 Movement for Musicians
- FWEL-023 Social Media Marketing
- FWEL-024 Five-Week Chorus
- FWEL-025 Poetry Slam and Performance
- FWEL-026 Open Drum Circle
- FWEL-027 Turntable Technique
- FWEL-028 Musical Theater Workshop
- FWEL-029 Studio Performance
- FWEL-030 Yoga for Musicians
- FWEL-031 Hip-Hop Songwriting
If assigned, you will be scheduled for one of the following (participation is limited):
- FWPN-06X Keyboard/Synth Performance
- FWPN-070 Master Class for Piano
- FWPN-080 Piano Performance Class
- FWPN-090 Hammond Performance Lab
- FWPN-091 New Piano Improvisation Lab
- FWGT-060 Guitar Performance Ensemble
- FWPR-080 World Percussion Lab
- FWWD-060 Smooth Jazz, Funk, and R&B Saxophone
- FWST-060 Five-Week String Orchestra
- FWVC-060 Five-Week Jazz Choir
A final report is sent to your home following completion of study and utilizes the following grading system:
- A: Honors; student shows definite career potential as evidenced by a superior performance in this class.
- B: Student has made above-average progress in this subject and shows career potential; additional study in this area is encouraged.
- C: Overall progress is satisfactory. Student has evidenced certain difficulties in this subject and needs to spend more time in certain areas (not unusual in music training). Career preparation would require concentrated effort.
- D: Progress has been generally unsatisfactory in comparison with others of a similar background.
- U: There was insufficient attendance for proper evaluation.
- S: Survey and elective class; there is no evaluation.
- Attendance: 25%
- Attitude/participation: 25%
- Course work (homework, tests, and performances): 25%
- Progress shown: 25%
Attendance Policy: No unexcused absences are permitted. Any unexcused absences will affect your grade.
All Five-Week program students who receive a grade of B or higher in the following courses will be awarded three (elective) college credits towards the Fundamentals of Musicianship I undergraduate requirement:
- Theory in Performance
- Private Lesson
If the student takes a subsequent Five-Week program, and receives a grade of B or higher in those same courses, they will be awarded three additional (elective) college credits towards Fundamentals of Musicianship II.
To request an official transcript, submit a Five-Week Summer Performance Transcript Request Form to the Office of the Registrar.
Please return your completed form to the Office of the Registrar via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax at 617-747-8520, or mail to Berklee College of Music, 1140 Boylston Street, MS-921 OREG, Boston, MA 02215.