The 9 Songwriter Series
Please see the full events listing for upcoming events.
Founded in 2008 by singer-songwriter Justin Trawick, the 9 Songwriter Series is a touring songwriter collective and live show based in Washington, D.C. The show was created with the idea of nine artists getting together and combining their talents in order to play in nicer clubs and for more people. Each installment features nine solo singer-songwriters performing together in a unique and captivating format, telling stories, and often making up music on the spot. To date, more than 200 different artists have participated in "the 9" at shows in D.C, Baltimore, Annapolis, Philadelphia, New York, Fairfield, Boston, Richmond, Charlottesville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. The nine songwriters that will perform at this show are:
- Justin Trawick, whose music ranges from folk/bluegrass all the way to funk/hip-hop and who has opened for Brett Dennen, Sara Bareilles and many others;
- Eva Walsh, who left her classical roots in Nashville and is now adds her fiddle and voice to the music of a growing number of respected Boston artists;
- Jason Ager, a blues-rock artist with hip-hop and R&B influences whose upbeat acoustic music is known for moving audiences to hit the dance floor,
- Paul Pfau, who combines British blues, New Orleans funk, and hook-laden pop melodies, as evidenced on his debut full-length album, Happy To Be;
- John Francis, whose newest release, "The Better Angels," was produced by John Carter Cash in the fabled home studio of his parents, Johnny and June;
- Avi Wisnia, who showcases his own music and also experiments with unexpected arrangements on contemporary pop tunes;
- Kaiti Jones, who delivers rich, sophisticated melodies while whispering truths about the human condition through thoughtful lyrics;
- Emily Hecht; whose strong vocals pack an emotional punch;
- Jim Shirey, a talented, folk-influenced guitarist and singer-songwriter.