Parents and Family Information

Berklee has a robust advising program to assist students with their unique career paths and aspirations. Once students are enrolled, the Counseling and Advising Center offers a variety of resources to assist with making academic decisions at all points of their Berklee education.

Our student services include:

  • Individual appointments with an academic advisor for help with schedule-planning, study skills, time management, and other academic concern
  • Advising Express for walk-in questions
  • Change of program (degree or diploma) or enrollment status (part-time or full-time)
  • Access "My Berklee" for online registration, course descriptions, personalized course planning tools, and more
  • Specialized advising for students on academic probation.
  • Referrals to other Berklee resources, including the Career Development Center, the Learning Center, the Office for Experiential Learning, peer advising program, study abroad programs, and major department advisors

Expectations of the Berklee Student

Students begin their Berklee career with a demanding schedule designed to provide the foundation for music and academics. It's normal for settling into a college course load and schedule to take some time. Therefore, Berklee has a variety of advisors and resources available to help students succeed.

Because college is much different than grade school or high school, students are expected to seek the assistance they need and capitalize on the relationships with their academic advisor and other support networks throughout the college. First-semester students are paired with a peer advisor and a faculty advisor to guide them as they make the transition to the college.

Help Make Appropriate Referrals

College is an important environment for students to exercise skills in self-advocacy and problem solving, and to seek out the many resources available to them. Many staff and faculty, as well as peer advisors, are available to directly assist students in becoming successful, listen to concerns, and share strategies and ideas.

What if your Berklee student doesn't know where to turn for assistance? Parents and family members may likely be the first resource. You can help your student learn successful problem solving tools. Guide him or her towards the Counseling and Advising Center. We offer many answers to help students get started. Students can also always speak with their peer advisor, faculty advisor, academic advisor, or departmental advisor for help.

Student Privacy Laws

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. §  1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.

Berklee staff, including academic advisors in the Counseling and Advising Center, must comply with this federal law. They cannot provide parents or family members with information about students concerning grades, academic standing, attendance, or other qualifying non-directory information without the written consent of the student.

Directory information that can be shared includes:

  • Name
  • enrollment status
  • graduation status
  • semester level
  • program
  • major
  • principal instrument
  • dates of attendance
  • college mailbox number
  • residence hall telephone number
  • college email address
  • hometown

As described by the U.S. Department of Education:

The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students" ... Schools must have written permission from the... eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record.

For further information about student records and FERPA, please consult the Office of the Registrar.

If you have other questions, explore the Berklee Parents Services page.