Music Career Resources
- General Books about the Music Industry
- General Music Industry Directories
- Business and Artist Management Resources
- Promotion And Marketing Resources
- Online Resources for Musicians
- Online Music & Entertainment Jobs Sites
- Online Musician Referral Services
- Career Opportunities in the Music Industry by Shelly Field. Published by Facts on File, 2004.
- Confessions of a Record Producer by Moses Avalon. Backbeat Books, 2006.
- Music Business Handbook & Career Guide, by David Baskerville. Sherwood Publishing, 2005.
- All You Need to Know about the Music Business, by Donald Passman. Simon & Schuster, 2009.
- Music, Money & Success: The Insider's Guide to the Music Industry by Jeffrey and Todd Brabec. Schirmer Books, 2008.
- Billboard's various directories: International Talent And Touring Guide, International Buyer's Guide, Record Retailing Directory, etc. 212 764-7300.
- Songwriter's Market, Annual Writer's Digest Books.
- The Music Business Registry: A&R Directory, Music Publishers Directory, Film & TV Music Guide.
- Artist Management for the Music Business, by Paul Allen. Focal Press, 2007.
- Booking and Tour Management in the Performing Arts, by Rena Shagan. Allworth Press, 2001.
- Indie Business Power: A Step-by-Step Guide for 21st-Century Music Entrepreneurs, by Peter Spellman. MBS Business Media, 2009.
- Networking Strategies for the New Music Business, by Dan Kimpel. ArtistPro Books, 2005.
- Secrets of Self-Employment, by Paul & Sarah Edwards. Jeremy Tarcher, 1996.
- The Business of Artist Management, by Xavier M. Frascogna and H. Lee Hetherington. Billboard Publications, 2004.
- Indie Marketing Power: The Resource Guide for Maximizing Your Music Marketing, by Peter Spellman, MBS Business Media, 2008.
- Marketing in the Music Industry, by Charles Hall & Frederick Taylor. Simon & Schuster, 2003.
- Maximum Marketing, Minimum Dollars: The Top 50 Ways to Grow Your Home Business, by Kim Gordon, Kaplan Business, 2006.
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR, by David Meerman Scott. John Wiley, 2007.
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, by Malcolm Gladwell. Back Bay Books, 2002.
Online Resources for Musicians
(CAUTION: subject to change at the blink of an eye!)
Online school and resource center serving the needs of professional musicians.
Creative Musicians Coalition
CMC is an international organization dedicated to the advancement of new music and the success of the independent musician.
A place where undiscovered artists can share their music and advice, learn from music biz vets, and grow their independent music careers.
Musi-Cal Performer Index
Provides an international concert calendar for folk, bluegrass, blues, and world music performers, organized alphabetically by artist. Also, add your own concerts.
An electronic alternative to the traditional press kit and LOTS more.
Ultimate Band List
Offers links to information about any genre or style of music, and much more.
The Muse's Muse: A Songwriter's Resource
Songwriters will find articles, hints, advice, and a wealth of links to other sites, including songwriter and industry associations.
Find a teacher, post/update a resume.
Entertainment jobs, internships and career information.
Job listings and resume bank for the gaming industry.
Los Angeles Music Network
A "grand central station" of music industry jobs. National spread. Requires annual subscriber fee to access full database.
Oceanbound Entertainment Inc.
An international agency for musicians and entertainers specializing in cruise ship entertainment.
ProShip Entertainment provides jobs for musicians, entertainers, and technical staff interested in working on cruise ships.
Covers film, television, multimedia, recording, and amusement park jobs.
Professional Musicians Referral
Complete information resources for music professionals.
To offer a means for networking and mutual support to musicians and people in the industry.
A free, national musician referral service covering performers, music instructors, and bands.