Berkleemusic.com Website Launched
After nearly two years in development, the college has launched its Berkleemusic.com website. This ambitious new offering provides alumni opportunities to take online courses, reconnect with former instructors, and explore new music career directions. One of the best features of the site is that it can be accessed anytime from anywherefrom home or from the road, in the middle of the night after a gig.
"Berkleemusic.com may turn out to be one of the most important things Berklee has ever done to expand its reach and its accessibility," said Associate Vice President for Berklee Media Dave Kusek. "So many alumni have expressed a desire to return to Berklee to update their skills, but feel it's not practical for them. With Berkleemusic.com, it's all possible."
The site features an online music school and a career-development center designed to help music professionals build successful careers. At Berkleemusic.com, musicians can post gigs, review industry-wide job listings, access career resources, and connect with other artists, performers, educators, and recording professionals worldwide. The online music school offers interactive courses in five learning streams: music production, music business, music writing, music education, and performance. The courses are taught by Berklee instructors and run from 3 to 12 weeks on a six-term calendar.
The first course offerings cover such topics as home-studio production using ProTools, music notation using Finale, desktop music production, basic music theory, career development, music marketing, self-promotion, MIDI sequencing, and lyric writing. Once they have the free Berkleemusic Passport, alumni can access the new site at www.berkleemusic.com/alum1. Membership entitles users to the following benefits:
- Access to the network. Users can receive automated e-mail messages alerting them to new job or gig postings that match their profile. Users get priority position at the top of all search-result lists.
- Visibility. Users can create a personal or band web page on the Berkleemusic.com site containing bios, MP3s, images, reviews, and links that are useful resources to potential employers, collaborators, and students.
- Resources. Tap exclusive Berkleemusic career resources such as sample contracts, interview and audition tips, info on who's hiring, and a member newsletter.
- Discounts. The passport membership includes a $25 discount coupon good toward any Berkleemusic.com instructor-led online course during their annual membership.
- Berkleemusic.com has also arranged to provide all Berklee alumni with a Berklee Guitar Center discount card, which offers a host of Guitar Center benefits, including product discounts, money-back guarantees, price matching for a 45-day period, exclusive invitations to Guitar Center events, $50 off shipping in regions without local stores, and six-month, no payment, no interest sales offers when purchasing with a Guitar Center credit card.
The Berklee Alumni Office recently mailed to all Berklee alumni a letter that contains their personal password and user name to allow them access to the site. Those with questions about the Berkleemusic Passport should call (617) 747-2556.
Berkleemusic.com is a product of Berklee's newest department, Berklee Media. Serving as an idea factory for new college online initiatives, Berklee Media manages Berkleemusic.com and Berklee Press, the college's publishing arm.