Berklee in São Paulo
Register for your spot, as space is limited.
November 19–22, 2014
Conservatorio Souza Lima
Rua José Maria Lisboa, 745
São Paulo, SP-CEP 01423-001
What is the program like?
Berklee College of Music presents the 2014 Berklee in São Paulo Contemporary Performance: Jazz and Rock program at our Berklee International Network partner, Conservatório Souza Lima in São Paulo, Brazil.
This workshop is for all musicians—instrumentalists and vocalists alike—who are interested learning what it takes to be a successful performing jazz and/or rock musician. The Contemporary Performance: Jazz and Rock program is a lecture and master class setting to learn about topics such as instrumental and performance techniques, improvisation, harmony, and overall musicianship. Students will have the chance to apply these skills in jam sessions and other performance settings.
Who are the instructors?
The program will be taught by Berklee and Souza Lima faculty members who are world-renowned for their knowledge, teaching skills, and empathy with students. They include:
Berklee College of Music:
- Jon Finn, professor of guitar
- George Garzone, professor of woodwinds
- Anne Peckham, chair of voice department
To Be Announced
What will my schedule look like?
Classes will generally run from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and concerts will take place in the late afternoon and evening. Classes will be taught in English with Portuguese translators, and include:
- Harmony and Improvisation: Instructors will demonstrate how to use contemporary harmony and chord scales to enhance performance, improvisation, composing, and writing skills.
- Instrumental Technique: You will participate in classes covering a broad range of instrumental techniques and how they may be applied to your instrument. Insights into practicing and and musicianship will be presented.
- Performance Master Class: You will participate in performance master classes that will provide you with opportunities to apply the techniques being taught in the lecture classes to your own playing or singing.
- Special Lectures: Instructors will present lectures on topics relevant to contemporary performance.
- Evening concerts and jams: Participants will be given the opportunity to hear program instructors and guests perform at Conservatorio Souza Lima. Also, students will play with fellow musicians in jam sessions. Times will be announced prior to the program.
Where will I sleep?
Students are required to make their own housing arrangements. Below is a list of options that you might want to consider for your stay in São Paulo.
• Hotel Ibis Budget
Avenida Nove de Julho, 3597 - Jardim Paulista
São Paulo, 01407-000
Tel - (0xx)11 3886-4600
• Tulip Inn Interative Flat
Rua José Maria Lisboa, 555 - Jardim Paulista
São Paulo, 01423-000
Tel - (0xx)11 2627-3200
Am I eligible?
The minimum age to attend is 15 years old. We recommend that you have been playing your instrument (or singing) for a minimum of six months to attend the program.
Do I need a visa to register for this program?
If you are traveling to Brazil to attend Berklee in São Paulo, then you will need a visa. Conservatorio Souza Lima will assist you with the necessary invitation to apply for a visa to attend this short program. We strongly recommend that you contact the Brazillian consulate or embassy in your country to review the process for applying for a visa as soon as possible (no later than one month before the program).
How much does the program cost?
Tuition: $225.00 USD (R$490.00)
Payment for accepted applicants
Bills will be emailed within two weeks after the completion of your application. You will be provided an acceptance letter and tuition statement with instructions for submitting your tuition payment to Conservatorio Souza Lima.
When and how do I apply?
Register through the Souza Lima website