Music Education and Special Needs Study Group: Winter 2019
The Berklee Institute for Arts Education and Special Needs is proud to announce the 2019 Music Education and Special Needs Study Group for music educators throughout the United States and around the world. This one-of-a-kind educator professional development opportunity offers both in-person and remote participation options so that anyone anywhere can attend the sessions, gain valuable knowledge, and learn strategies for reaching every student in the music studio, classroom, and ensemble settings.
The study group will include:
- working sessions (presentations, teaching demonstrations, discussions),
- readings (research-based and practice-based publications),
- reflections (written journal entries and conversations), and
- individual projects to apply what you learn to your teaching.
There will be five sessions, each three hours in length. All will be live-streamed over Google Meet and recorded for asynchronous participation. There will also be online engagement for all participants between the sessions.
In-person meetings will take place at Berklee College of Music's Boston campus in 921 Boylston Street, room 311, on the following dates and times:
- January 12, 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
- January 26, 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
- February 2, 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
- February 9, 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
- March 9, 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
- In case of a weather cancellation for one of these dates, the makeup day will be March 26, 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Topics include the following:
- Differentiation of instruction
- Universal design for learning
- Behavior management
- Using technology to teach music to students with special needs
There is no charge for educators to participate in the study group, but registration is required.
Those who are interested can earn 15 professional development points (PDPs) from Massachusetts from participating.
For more information and to register, email Rhoda Bernard, managing director of the Berklee Institute for Arts Education and Special Needs, at email@example.com.