Master Class Application: Berklee City Music Summit 2018
It’s that time of year, and we are excited to hear from you and your students. Full Berklee City Music Network (BCMN) members are now eligible to audition for the master class at the Berklee City Music Summit. Students will be joined by an expert coach from the music industry, and they will work together in an ensemble of seven performers from across the network. Selected students will be assigned to one of the following ensembles: country, R&B/pop, and jazz.
All student master class participants will be required to attend a meet and greet on Sunday, November 4 as well as be available for the class and performance on Monday, November 5. Students are also strongly encouraged to participate in the all four days of the summit, which will include many informative panel discussions, meeting and listening to special guests from the music business, and an opportunity to explore the attractions located in Nashville's Music City.
Extended deadline: all applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Monday, July 23, 2018. Students will be selected and notified by August 10, 2018, and will receive additional details at that time. Confirmation of each selected student's participation in the master class will be required by August 24, 2018.
- Students must be an official full member of the BCMN.
- All students must be in high school as of November 2018 as well as current members of your organization.
- Students must submit recordings of selected materials via video that are live, unedited performances.
- If selected to participate in the master class, students will be given materials to practice on their own ahead of the event; these materials will be performed in an ensemble setting.
- Students must prepare two songs no longer than two minutes in length for their audition video. One song must be selected from the list below.
- "There Will Never Be Another You" by Harry Warren, lyrics by Mack Gordon
- "If I Ain’t Got You" by Alicia Keys
- "I Got You (I Feel Good)" by James Brown
- "Isn’t She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder
- "Straight, No Chaser" by Thelonious Monk
- "One Note Samba" by Antônio Carlos Jobim
- "Come Wake Me Up" by Rascal Flats
The suggested song format for audition selections is as follows:
- Introduction (two bars)
- Improvised Section
BCMN staff must work with their students as part of the audition process to submit two songs in a video presentation. Each student needs to choose one song from the selections above as part of the first video submission. Additionally, each student needs to provide another video presentation with a song of their own. Students should make it fun, and make it their own.
Vocalists should submit songs that are no more than three minutes in length, and instrumentalist should submit songs that are no more than two minutes in length. Students should consider bringing their unique creativity and style to their audition clips.
Travel and Hotel Accommodations in Nashville
For students traveling to the greater metropolitan Nashville area, BCMN has set up accommodations at the Scarritt Bennett Center for $79.88 per night, plus taxes. Please contact Christina Quarles at email@example.com to hold your reservation for these accommodations. Be sure to plan ahead and budget for a trip of three nights and four days at the event, including airfare, hotel, transportation, meals, and tickets to attractions and special events. Discounts may be available to those interested in sightseeing around town.
Each student selected from the audition to attend the master class may have the opportunity to receive up to $230 in travel reimbursements.
For questions regarding the master class and audition process, please call 617-747-6059 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.