Visa Information

This information is for international students coming to Berklee's Boston campus. If you are spending your first year on the Valencia, Spain, campus, please see First Year Abroad visa information.

Accepted International Students

Read all of the information provided to you by Berklee, which covers the I–20 request form, an estimate of expenses, and employment regulations for international students.

Important Visa Information

You will need an I–20 Form from Berklee in order to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy. Please read the following steps carefully.

Requirements to Get an I–20 Form

You must be fully accepted and have paid a deposit/confirmation fee for one of Berklee's full-time or 12-week full-credit summer programs. Students with provisional acceptance to the college must fulfill their provisional requirements before they will be sent an I–20 form.

Financial Documentation

All documentation must be in English. Full-time students must provide proof of financial support for a nine-month period of study. Documentation should include the following:

  • Berklee I–20 request form, which is provided after you have been fully accepted to the college
  • Bank statement from a parent/sponsor showing proof of funds (in U.S. dollars) in the amount shown on the estimate of expenses
  • Letter of support from a parent/sponsor or an I-134 Affidavit of Support

Provide proof of support for all sources of funding

If you are receiving support from your government or a private sponsor, include a copy of your award letter. All sources of funding should be listed on your I-20 form. To avoid delays and additional expenses, send the required financial documentation by the following filing dates:

Full-Time Programs




July 14*


December 1


April 1

* Students attending the BELSP program should submit documentation as soon as possible but no later than June 1.

Please be aware:

  • It takes three to six weeks for an I–20 form to be processed and delivered to most countries. Submit your documentation early.
  • Faxed documentation is processed along with our regular mail. All mail is processed in the order it is received.
  • I–20 forms cannot be faxed.

Student Visas

You may apply for an F-1 student visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your country. Make sure to bring the following:

  1. Letter of acceptance to Berklee College of Music
  2. I–20 form
  3. Documentation showing sources of funding
  4. Valid passport (valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of your travel)
  5. Proof that you intend to return to your own country after completing your studies

You will be interviewed during this process in order to confirm your ability to handle English and to confirm your intentions to study at Berklee College of Music. If you are approved by the embassy or consulate, you will receive a stamp in your passport. This stamp is your student visa.

Canadian citizens must pay the SEVIS fee; however, they are not required to complete an interview at a U.S. consulate for a student visa. Canadian citizens should not schedule an appointment with the U.S. embassy. Instead, they must present their I-20 and valid passport to a U.S. immigration officer at the port of entry.

Please note:

  • Do not enter the U.S. on a tourist visa.
  • Do not pack your documents in your luggage.
  • Carry all documents with you.

Estimate of Expenses for International Students

See Tuition and Related Costs for up-to-date estimates of expenses for international students. These estimates do not include the costs of transportation to and from the U.S., vacation-related travel, rental/shipment of an instrument, or other such factors that may increase your expected expenses.

Begin your I-20 application.