Laptop Package Contents
The Berklee Laptop Package includes an Apple Macintosh laptop computer, a USB audio interface, and software applications used in the core curriculum. Updates to the included applications (with the exception of ProTools) are provided free of charge while the student is enrolled at Berklee. However, this is only after the college has thoroughly tested and evaluated any new software release. In order to maintain classroom and educational continuity, changes are made when the college as a whole transitions to an updated version.
The computer comes with an extended warranty from Apple, which includes worldwide service and support from Apple. Support is also available from Berklee's Student Computer Support Center.
The warranty ensures that Apple-authorized technicians (including those at Berklee) will perform repairs, and that parts and labor will be covered. The plan includes global repair coverage, which can be very important if you travel abroad. Please note that items not covered under warranty include but are not limited to:
- Physical damage (breakage, cracks)
- Liquid spills
- Cosmetic damage (scratches, dents)
- Damage or failure due to abuse, neglect, or inappropriate use
- Extreme physical or electrical stress
- Consumables, such as batteries and power supplies, unless due to defect
- Loss or misplacement of the computer
Berklee strongly recommends that students protect and care for their computer as they would any other valuable resource. Repairs not covered under warranty can be very expensive. We also strongly advise students to investigate alternate means (personal insurance or other insurance) to protect them in the event their computer is damaged or stolen. If breakage or other damage occurs (regardless of fault), the student is liable for the cost of any and all repairs or replacement. Safeware Inc. offers laptop insurance to Berklee students. (http://www.safeware.com/berklee)
The Berklee Laptop Package for the Summer 2014 semester includes the following:
- Apple MacBook Pro computer (model MD103LL/A), 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
- 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory, supports up to 8GB
- 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
- Slot-loading 8x optical drive
- 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible; Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- Full-size backlit keyboard
- Multitouch trackpad
- FaceTime HD camera; Thunderbolt port with support for DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI, FireWire 800 port, two USB 3.0 ports, SDXC card slot
- AppleCare Protection Plan Extended Warranty. Note: The AppleCare Protection Plan is subject to terms and conditions, which are provided on the AppleCare Protection Plan website at http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html
- OSX Operating System
- Built-in Apple applications (e.g., iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand)
- Line6 POD Studio UX2 audio interface
- iLok, for authorizing and using ProTools
- Software products listed below while the student is enrolled at Berklee. (This means that the student may use these software products while they are enrolled at Berklee and get updates to these applications when the college transitions to a different version during their enrollment. When they leave Berklee, students may continue to use the version they have at that time, but will no longer qualify for free updates. Please note that the manufacturers do not provide discs as part of the agreement. However, students are able to make a backup of the applications if they wish.)
- SmartMusic Studio
- ProTools (major version updates will incur a cost at that time)
- Microsoft Office
- Digital Performer
Throughout any academic year, Berklee anticipates that new software and updates to existing software may become available. Information on updates will be posted on college websites as it becomes available.
Please note that the content of this package is subject to change (modifications, additions, deletions) at any time. The academic and technology leadership at Berklee work closely with vendors to create a package that best supports the needs of students. However, purchase of this package does not constitute an agreement whereby Berklee is responsible to continue to provide any past products or services, nor a commitment by Berklee to provide future products or services.
The Berklee Laptop Package includes all necessary software to cover the needs of the typical first-year curriculum at Berklee.
The purchase of other software is at the discretion of the individual. However, please note that some majors at Berklee require the purchase of a major bundle (additional hardware and software to support the work of the major). Some specialized classes may also require the purchase of additional software.