"As Kandinsky said, art work is spiritual food, and is 'son of its own time.'"
"As a musician, I feel it is a privilege being able to express life through sound and rhythm, but that becomes a challenge not without difficulties. I love looking for something in our inner space, set it up in communicable terms, and share it with other musicians and audience. It's almost like a religion. But it requires a lot of work through many years in order to learn and develop a creative process—imitation, assimilation, innovation—and a life compromise to be able to grow constantly. I think that playing, improvising, arranging, and composing are just parts of that creative process."
"By knowing and understanding tradition (styles, instrument, language, roles, etc), achieving a mature criterium and forward attitude, we guide ourselves to innovation and solid personality. All techniques, intellectual process, and procedures, which are very important, should serve expression. Paco de Lucía says, 'It is very important to have a good technique to be able to forget about it!'"
"Jazz is about a different kind of groove. Playing the bass, as a member of rhythm section and soloist, means accuracy with the instrument, strong time; stabilize, variate, and develop ideas by listening and taking your own and group decisions in a constant dialogue. My personal concept as an educator is about offering wide objective information and showing it in a personalized way to the student, to give them proper preparation to face today's professional challenges and their own artistic developement, always favoring intuition the most."
- Studied classical double bass with Ferran Sala and Ludwig Streicher and jazz bassist Ron Carter at City College of New York
- Former member of the Orquestra Ciutat de Barcelona and the Orquestra de Cambra Teatre Lliure
- Performances and recordings with Brad Mehldau, Jimmy Cobb, Tete Montoliu, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Perico Sambeat, Paquito D'Rivera, and Wynton Marsalis
- Member of Chano Dominguez's band
- Performances at Lincoln Center in New York, Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg, Teatro Real de Madrid, Jazz Standard NY, Ronnie's Scott of London, and Palace of Fine Arts in Mexico City, as well as jazz festivals in San Francisco, Montreal, Marciac, Vienne, and the North Sea Jazz Festival
- Received the 1992 SGAE Composition Prize, as well as prizes from the TVE program Jazz entre Amigos in 1986, 1987, and 1988
- More than 80 recordings
- Professor of jazz bass and ensemble at the Escola Superior de Música de Catalunya
- Created the cultural space Mercedes Jazz Café in Valencia