Music Therapy Major
Learn skills necessary to practice as a professional music therapist. These include a foundation in music theory, history, composition, arranging, keyboard, guitar, voice, improvisation, and conducting, as well as clinical skills including principles of therapy, exceptionality, and the therapeutic relationship. After course work is completed, students will engage in 1,040 hours of clinical internship at an approved site and will be evaluated on the skills and competencies listed above. This prepares students to sit for the Board Certification Examination to earn the MT-BC (Music Therapist - Board Certified) credential. Students will learn to apply critical problem-solving techniques in developing music therapy interventions for a wide variety of clients and patients.
Competencies as a music therapist involve client assessment, implementation of music therapy strategies, evaluation, documentation, termination, discharge planning, and interdisciplinary team work. Students will become familiar with the professional work environment through a series of practica in which the concepts and strategies learned in the classroom are applied to clinical music therapy work with individuals in community settings, including schools, medical centers, nursing facilities, and other agencies serving people of diverse needs. Students will be prepared to adapt to the needs of a quickly changing health care environment and mental health network, and will learn how to develop a music therapy practice, administer programs, and devise treatment programs in a team approach.
The music therapy major will learn and interpret codes of ethical practice standards in the music therapy profession while actually using them in clinical practica and internship settings.
Upon completion of a major in music therapy, students will:
- Apply the highest standards of professionalism in their field
- Apply the latest music therapy techniques
- Synthesize music therapy assessment and research
- Interact with a variety of clinical populations
- Apply music therapy strategies in five clinical practica under supervision
- Synthesize personal and professional skills
- Apply the latest music therapy technology.
- Apply contemporary music to the music therapy process
Download the music therapy concentrate courses (requires Acrobat Reader, available for free on the Adobe website). Students are strongly encouraged to verify their course requirements with the Office of the Registrar.
Music Therapy Links
Forms to Download
- Technology Symposium (PDF)
- MT Major Application (PDF)
- Declaring the Major (PDF)
- Equivalency Program (PDF)