Full and Part-Time Policy
The college’s primary commitment is to full-time study. The maximum credit load within full-time tuition for each program is:
- Degree: 16 credits
- Diploma: 13 credits
Exceeding the maximum credit load will result in an extra credit fee. The fee is based on the number of credits over the maximum ($1,293 per credit).
Maximum Extra Credits per Term
Students may register for up to four extra credits each term and will be charged per credit for each extra credit. Diploma students may register for up to 17 credits and degree students may register for up to 20 credits.
First-semester entering students and transfer students generally may not exceed the registration credit limit of their programs. Students wishing to register for more than four extra credits who have demonstrated high academic achievement and/or high musical proficiency should seek approval from the academic advising coordinator in the Counseling and Advising Center.
Part-time status may be granted under the following circumstances:
- A student who has completed at least one full-time semester at Berklee may study part-time during the summer semester.
- A student who has fewer than 12 credits required for graduation.
- A student who has fewer than 24 credits required for graduation including sequential courses that require the student to enroll for at least one semester beyond the semester for which part-time status is being requested.
- A student with a documented physical, learning, or psychiatric disability for which the college determines that part-time enrollment is a reasonable accommodation. In the case of learning disabilities, documentation from at least the high school level must be submitted to the Special Services Counselors in the Counseling and Advising Center. The definition of disability is outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- A student whose only registered course for a term is an approved internship.
- A graduate of Berklee returning to take additional coursework.
All students must be authorized for part-time status. You will need to submit a Change of Enrollment Status Form at the Counseling and Advising Center for part-time status to be official. Part-time status can be authorized any time between Registration Advising Week and January 27, 2014 for the spring term.