PAN School of Music, Tokyo, Japan
Dear PAN Students,
It is with regret that Berklee has learned of the closing of PAN. Berklee has enjoyed its relationship with PAN and has had great respect for its educational achievements. The Articulation Agreement that grew out of those achievements demonstrated Berklee's confidence in PAN and its students. PAN's closing is a reminder of the difficult economic times in which we live.
Over the years, it has been my distinct pleasure and honor to have met and auditioned many talented musicians from PAN. A substantial number of these students went on to attend Berklee, many with scholarships. As a reflection of Berklee's commitment in Japan, we have maintained two other relationships: one with the at the Koyo Conservatory, our Berklee International Network partner in Kobe; and the other with our Articulation partner Senzoku Gakuen College of Music in Tokyo. In the weeks ahead, we will be working with these two schools and the representatives of PAN to serve your needs during this difficult time.
We want you to come to Berklee if that is your wish. Therefore, I want to present some information and guidelines about credit transfer for students affected by PAN's closing and the resulting termination of the BIN and Articulation agreements.
- All students who finished at least one semester at PAN before the closing will be able to participate in the credit transfer process with official transcripts from PAN.
- Students who completed all of their coursework under the Articulation Agreement by the official date of closure, March 2, 2010, will transfer in accordance with the agreement.
- Students in this category will not have to take an audition for entry, but should apply through the normal process for students who have completed their coursework under the stipulations of the Articulation Agreement.
- Students who have not finished their coursework under the agreement by March 2, 2010 may transfer completed courses where an average grade of B has been achieved in the course block. The official transcripts of these students will be reviewed case-by-case by the Office of the Registrar. This waives, for PAN students, the requirement that all courses in a Credit Transfer agreement be taken before transferring to Berklee.
- Students in this category will have to participate in the Audition and Interview (A&I) process and apply for admission to Berklee. An A&I event will be held in August at a place, date, and time to be determined. Once a student is admitted, courses taken under the Articulation Agreement will be transferred in accordance with the provisions of the agreement. These provisions will be posted online with this document. We are asking the representatives from PAN to provide Berklee with an email list of these students so that we may contact you with information about the auditions.
- Once at Berklee, these students must take the Berklee Placement Exam if they wish to attain a higher level of placement than their transfer credits will allow.
- We advise students who plan to attend Berklee at a later date to request official transcripts in a sealed envelope, to be held by you until you apply to Berklee.
- Students with questions or concerns or who wish to apply to Berklee should contact Gojko Damjanic
- Berklee's Office of Admissions is aware of PAN's closing and will make every effort to accommodate those applicants who have been affected by the closure.
Assistant Vice President for International Programs
Berklee College of Music