Veteran's Benefits

First and foremost, Berklee would  like to thank you and/or your family for the service provided to protect our country's freedoms. There are approximately 45 students at Berklee (and 100 students in our online school) receiving benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Berklee certifies all VA educational benefit chapters and participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Eligible students may begin the application process by submitting a Certificate of Eligibility, obtained through This certificate will be mailed 4-6 weeks after submitting the application and should then be faxed to our office for review. Parents may be able to transfer their benefits to a spouse, one or more children, or a combination of spouse and child. It is strongly advised by the VA to apply online as processing tends to be quicker by this method, however, links to PDF applications can be found below along with more information about the most commonly awarded programs. If you have more specific questions, please contact our office for further assistance.

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

Servicepersons who served on active duty for a minimum of 90 aggregate days after September 11, 2011, or individuals discharged with a service-related disability after 30 days, may qualify to receive benefits under this chapter. Persons under this category must have received a honorable discharge to be entitled under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Students can be eligible at either 100 percent leel or 40-90 percent. Your tuition and related fee payments will be prorated if eligible for less than 100 percent, as well as your housing and book stipends. This chapter provides up to 36 months of education benefits, however, it may extend to the end of a term if eligibilty expires during said term.

Tuition and related fees are paid directly to Berklee and credited to a student's account. This year, students can receive up to $17,500 for these costs (depending on their eligibility percentage). A monthly housing stipend is paid directly to a student, arriving at the end of each month the student is enrolled in any given semester (e.g., if the term starts September 1, the student will receive a housing stipend in the mail at the end of September). Students may view the Basic Allowance for Housing rates online at, which are based on those classified as E-5 with dependents for the ZIP code of the school (02215). The stipend for books is mailed to the student at the beginning of the semester and may be up to $1,000 annually.

For parents who would like to transfer their Post-9/11 benefits to their dependent student(s), please log on to the Department of Defense transferability application website to determine if the student is eligible.

Apply online at or download a physical application on

Yellow Ribbon

Only veterans entitled to the maximum benfit rate (based on service requirements under the Post-9/11 GI Bill) or their designated transferees may receive funding under the Yellow Ribbon program. Active duty servicemembers and their spouses are not eligible for the program. While Berklee does participate in this program, there is a maximum number of individuals to whom the school is able to award funding under this program each year. Currently, Berklee has a waiting list of approximately 10 students.

Therefore, you may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregaate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months; 
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001; and/or
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service meeting the criteria listed above.

The VA may be contacted by phone at 888 442-4551 during the normal business hours of 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.