Scarlet Keys, Assistant Professor
|Photo by Phil Farnsworth|
"The thing I love the most about teaching is helping students discover themselves, helping them tell the stories of their lives through music, and encouraging them to grow as artists."
"I create an environment in the classroom that is relaxed, fun, and creative because although craft is an intellectual pursuit, creativity needs to run rampant. It’s like a child learning to walk; it needs to have the freedom to try things out, to play and discover itself."
"While focusing on the artistic endeavors of each student, I attempt to instill knowledge of the tools and awareness of commercial songwriting. This ensures a student will have the ability to reach as broad an audience as possible."
- B.M., Berklee College of Music
- Staff songwriter for Warner Chappell/The New Company Nashville
- Live performances include the Blue Bird café, Nashville; ESPN; Bass Masters Classic, New Orleans Arena; and venues in Nashville, California, and New England as featured pianist/vocalist
- Gold record for song "So Much Love to Make" recorded by Swedish artist Jill Johnson
- Single "Gonna Dance" recorded by jazz artist Anna Wilson
- Charted on Billboard's jazz chart in 2008 with Anna Wilson's Christmas album Yule Swing; Number 1 single on British country chart with artist Lucie Diamond; Number 2 on the European country charts with single and title track to artist Lucie Diamond's record entitled "I Wanna Be Rich."
- Released original jazz and blues CD Java Jam
- Songs have appeared on Fox television and the daytime soap Passions
- Collaborations include hit songwriter/producer Monty Powell; country artists Sherry Austin, Jill Johnson, Emily West, Patricia Conroy, Denny Hemingson (Tim McGraw's band), and Blue Miller (writer/producer for India Arie)