Larry Bell, Associate Professor
|Photo by Phil Farnsworth|
"The courses I teach—tonal harmony, composition, and tonal counterpoint—prepare students to understand the materials and the language of music better in order to create their own songs and instrumental pieces and guide their improvisations."
"I am trying to teach principles of good design rather than rules. Understanding the nature of the materials of music, the function of harmony, and how to write balanced and flowing melodies gives students a sense of the possibilities. When they want to exercise their creative imaginations, they will be able to make informed choices."
"One of my teachers told me that you can always get more money, but you cannot always get more time, an idea that emphasizes the importance of time management, particularly for musicians. If 80 percent of life is showing up, the other 20 percent is being on time. It is no longer true that an artist is given much latitude because of his or her talent. The aspiring composer's capacity to deliver on deadline is part and parcel of that person's ambition to succeed."
"'Classical' is only one of today's many consumer-driven categories. I try to convince the students that they are first and foremost producers of music, not consumers. For my own part, I write what I hope will become a classic. It is enough for us to create the work."
- B.M., Appalachian State University
- M.M., D.M.A., the Juilliard School
- Studies in composition with Vincent Persichetti and Roger Sessions, solfège with Renée Longy, piano with Joseph Bloch and Joseph Rollino
- Commissioned by Speculum Musicae, Boston Modern Orchestra Project, Borromeo String Quartet, Music Today, Boston Landmarks Orchestra, Tarab Cello Ensemble
- Performances by the Atlanta Symphony, the RAI Orchestra of Rome, the Seattle Symphony, and the Juilliard String Quartet, and at festivals in Valencia, Spain; Pontino, Italy; San Salvador; Moscow; Chicago; and Aspen
- Over 35 works recorded on 15 CDs for Albany Records, North/South Recordings, Pont Neuf, Barking Dog Records, and Vienna Modern Masters
- Subject of documentaries for National Public Radio’s New Directions in Europe and Radio Amsterdam’s Concertzender
- Resident composer at Bennington College, the Woodstock Fringe Festival, the American Academy in Rome, the Bellagio Center, the Rivers School, the Hartt School, the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, and the MacDowell Colony
- Awards and grants include the Rome Prize, the Guggenheim Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, the Charles Ives Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, the American Music Center, Meet the Composer, and the American Symphony Orchestra League
- Published by Casa Rustica Publications and Ione Press, a division of ECS Publishing