Julius Williams, Professor
"Here at Berklee, we have one of the strongest Composition departments in the country. We've got over 37 composers on the faculty, and really 118 composers in the whole Writing Division. No other place has this many people who write music in one area. The attitude around here is laid back, but serious at the same time, because most of the composers are very active, writing everything from performance works to film scores. And that's what makes Berklee different. It's a very exciting, creative atmosphere."
"What's great about our Writing Division is people can cross over; they can do projects in different departments. These composers are writing symphonies, string quartets, chamber works, orchestras, short works, piano pieces, choral pieces. It's very exciting. And we're conductors, so we get to see the pieces performed here."
"One of the people at the Boston Symphony told me that Berklee composition students are the most well rounded, because they can write in all styles, from pop to symphonic works. People are beginning to realize what a jewel this is."
- B.S., Herbert H. Lehman College
- M.M.E., Hartt School of Music
- D.A., (honorary) Keene State College
- Conducting appearances with the orchestras of Dallas, Hartford, Akron, New Haven, Vermont, Sacramento, Knoxville, Washington, Savannah, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Wooster, and Dubrovnik; the Brno State Philharmonic; the Bohulav Martinu Philharmonic; the Prague Radio Symphony; the Dvorak Symphony; and the Connecticut Opera
- Assistant conductor, American and Brooklyn Philharmonic orchestras
- Former artistic director, Educational Chorus and Orchestra Program, Saratoga Performing Arts Center
- Compositions published by MMB, Augsburg Fortress, Carl Fischer, Warner Brothers, and Lawson-Gould
- Compositions performed by New York Philharmonic, Cleveland Orchestra, Dallas Symphony, and many orchestras nationally and internationally
- Recipient of Dupont Scholar Award, Aspen Professional Fellowship, annual ASCAP Awards, Astral Foundation Award, New York State Education in the Arts Award, and Connecticut Commission on the Arts Fellowship
- Recordings on Albany and Videmus records
- Clinician adjudicator, Fulbright, National Endowment, and State Arts councils
- Laureate music director, Washington Symphony Orchestra, Washington D.C.
- Recipient of the Distinguished Medal of Artistic Achievement from the Ecuador Youth Symphony Orchestra Foundation