Jeff Harrington, Professor
"I've been fortunate to have had many great teachers. Some were very systematic and technical in their approach while others were more ear-based, abstract and philosophical. I try to combine the best of all of that and adapt it, as much as possible, to each student's interests and learning style. I also enjoy teaching a variety of styles and genres. Maybe that's because it keeps it interesting and fresh, but also because I really love music of all kinds."
"Years of performing have taught me a lot about what it takes to prepare and practice for a successful performance. That includes everything from dealing with bizarre sound systems to understanding how to blend with players I've never played with before. In addition to practicing, hands-on experience (on-the-job-training) is the only way to develop as a musician and to ultimately arrive at the consistency we all strive for."
- B.M., Berklee College of Music
- M.M., New England Conservatory of Music
- Performances with Ricky Ford, the Gene Krupa Orchestra, Billy Hart, Milt Hinton, and Makoto Ozone
- Recordings include Cosmic Motion Picture, One, and the upcoming Emanation
- Author of the Blues Improvisation Complete series (Berklee Press)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Affiliated Artist
- Artist-in-residence, Escola de Musica, Santiago de Compostela, Spain