Jeff Baust, Associate Professor
"Students from the Music Synthesis Department go on to do everything from composing and producing cutting-edge music to scoring/sound design for video games, television, film, and the web, to working as DJs and remixers, to being music artists in and of themselves. Some become producers and programmers for other artists as well as producing their own music."
"Our grads wind up being technologically savvy and up to date, and are capable of being creative entities in a wide variety of situations. That is critical, because in this field, they'll typically get asked to wear many different hats. One minute, they're a composer or composer's assistant, then they are doing production work for an artist, and then for the next project they're doing sound design for visuals."
"The technology and tools of music synthesis are changing at an incredible speed. Berklee has been really good at making sure that students have the latest tools in their hands, both in the studios and through the Berklee laptop program. No matter what the tool, however, faculty know and impart upon the students the commonalities of all of those tools. We don't teach just the button pushing for today's technology, but how to achieve effective music and sound design with any set of tools. We want students to sit down at the newest synthesis software tool, and say, 'I know what I'm looking for; the question is, where are they hiding it?'"
- B.Mus., D.M.A., Boston University
- M.F.A., University of California, Davis
- Accomplished bassist and guitarist
- Composer of electronic, electro-acoustic, and acoustic music
- Composition credits include ESPN, Reebok, Polaroid, Avid, Lotus, Sony, Boston Bruins, Boston Red Sox, Analog Devices, KCRA-TV (NBC)
- Articles published in Electronic Musician and Berklee Today
- Engineering credits include the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Orchestra of St. Luke's, Jessye Norman, Sequentia, Itzhak Perlman, Martha Argerich, Irma Thomas, Paquito D'Rivera, and Dawn Upshaw
- Former member of the Lines, Angry Young Bees, and A Show of Hands