Jan Shapiro, Professor
|Photo by Phil Farnsworth|
"I teach private lessons, vocal labs, and ensembles. When I teach private lesson students, I teach classical technique and how it applies to contemporary vocal styles. As a teacher, I see myself as a guide to each individual student as they travel down the path of vocal development and their own individual progression. Whether a singer becomes a recognized household name as a recording artist, a full-time performer, a session singer, a backing vocalist, or a singer in a wedding band, I try to prepare all my vocal students for the changing music industry and vocal styles."
"I love the talent, the enthusiasm, the energy, and excitement at Berklee. I am thrilled for the student who has been trying to grasp a particular vocal concept, keeps practicing, and then actually 'hears' what he or she is doing. That's vocal progress! It's like helping a butterfly come out of its cocoon."
"Berklee constantly updates itself. It's on the cutting edge of music. There is no other school I know of that offers such a diversity of music and styles. Plus, vocalists have the opportunity to take courses in music business, film scoring, music production, and more. And they get to study with some of the most talented and experienced faculty in the world. A singer cannot get that—all in one place—anywhere else."
- B.M., Howard University
- New England Conservatory, graduate studies
- M.Ed., Cambridge College
- Post-Grad, Boston University, Speech Pathology, Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences
- Asociate Degree in Nursing Arts, Registered Nurse
- Former Berklee Voice Department Chair, 1997–2010
- Vocalist with extensive performance experience in many styles
- Featured vocalist, Boston Globe Jazz Festival
- Recipient of National Endowment for the Arts Grant
- Published author for Charles Scribner & Sons, Oxford Press, IAJE Jazz Research Papers, IAJE Jazz Journal
- Adjudicator and clinician for IAJE, MENC, and NATS
- Recordings include Back to Basics, Not Commercial, and Read Between the Lines (Singing Empress)