Eric Stern, Associate Professor
"Conducting encompasses so much that is music. One must be part musicologist, theoretician, teacher, coach, cheerleader, disciplinarian, scholar, and, of course, time-keeper. All that aside, there is nothing that compares with the physical relationship you learn to form with the music itself, constructing and performing aerial geometry that somehow conveys the essence of each moment. It’s not just the mechanics, but the meaning of the music. What excites me most is when a student discovers—even if only fleetingly—how it feels to experience that, and to have musical meaning flow through you. That’s the magic for me."
- Broadway conductor and arranger for 35 years
- Conductor of many CDs and live broadcasts
- Performed with many leading vocalists and instrumentalists both in concert and in the studio
- Frequent guest conductor for the BBC
- Grammy, Gramaphone, and Emmy winner