Berklee College of Music values the college-level course work taken by our students at institutions of higher education throughout the world. Students are invited to submit official transcripts from regionally accredited institutions for transfer credit evaluation.
All students are required to complete at least six credits of liberal arts courses at Berklee in order to graduate. Once matriculated, students are generally expected to complete all remaining course work at Berklee. However, students may still transfer a maximum of nine additional liberal arts credits from a regionally accredited institution. Candidates for the bachelor of music degree may transfer up to 24 credits of required liberal arts courses. Professional diploma students may transfer up to 12 credits in liberal arts courses toward general elective requirements.
Transfer credit may be granted in the area of liberal arts course work. Berklee does not award transfer credit for music courses other than some music history and music business courses. A wide range of courses may be transferred in the general elective or liberal arts elective categories.
For a course to transfer as a required Berklee course, the course must have a course description comparable to that offered at Berklee.
All courses accepted for transfer must be successfully completed with a minimum grade of "C" (73% or 2.0).
Berklee operates under a semester-hour system. A conversion must be made when transferring credit from a university using a different system:
- 3 quarter-hour credits equal 2 semester-hour credits
- 4.5 quarter-hour credits equal 3 semester-hour credits
- 30 lecture hours equal 2 semester-hour credits
- 45 lecture hours equal 3 semester-hour credits
Students seeking admission to Berklee should submit all of their official transcripts to the Office of Admissions before matriculating. Berklee will accept applicable transfer credit for work done before matriculation up through a student's entering term to the college. After matriculating, past work is no longer valid for transfer.
Students already attending Berklee who have taken courses post-matriculation at a regionally based university should have their official transcripts mailed directly to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar evaluates all transfer credit for the college. Following a transfer credit evaluation, students receive a Transfer Equivalency Report indicating which courses transferred and how those courses will apply toward graduation.
Transfer Credit Notes
- General electives are normally elective music courses such as ensembles or instrumental labs; however, liberal arts course work may be used to satisfy a portion of the general elective credit.
- A transcript is considered official only if it is sent directly from a college/university to Berklee or is given to a student in a sealed and stamped envelope and delivered unopened to Berklee.
- If you feel you have expertise in a music course, you may speak with the course chair about the possibility of credit by exam.
Please see the Transfer Credit Guide for transfer credit policy details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Berklee may accept transfer credits from any accredited institution of higher education (college or university), including courses taken online.
How can I get my transcript evaluated?
To find out which transfer credits Berklee takes, you must have been accepted into a full-time degree or diploma program.
You may also check the transfer credit guide for a list of generally accepted courses and other useful information about transfer credit.
When will I know if my credits have been accepted?
Berklee will email you a transfer credit evaluation within 2-4 weeks of admitting you to the college.
Where do I send my transcripts?
When you apply to Berklee, send all official transcript and supporting materials to:
Berklee College of Music
Office of Admissions
1140 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215
We cannot accept a transcript that has been opened or faxed, as these transcripts are not official. We also do not accept grade reports.
Request an official AP score report from the College Board. Berklee's College Board code is 3107. Note: Berklee does not accept AP credit when reported on another college transcript.
What if I have a transcript from an international institution?
How will my class transfer if my college is on a quarter-hour system?
See the Transfer Credit Guide.
How will I know how much longer it will take for me to graduate from Berklee, after I have transferred in outside credit?
Go to berklee.net/re (no login required), and click on Grids by Major. You can also check the Transfer Credit Guide to view a list of generally accepted outside courses.
Whom can I contact if I have questions about my transfer credit evaluation report?
If you have questions after receiving your transfer credit evaluation report or viewing your transfer credit online (on my.berklee.net under Student Services, View Transcript), please contact the information projects coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617 747-8519, or the Office of the Registrar.
Which courses do you not accept?
- Music courses, except for music history courses and those taken at Berkleemusic.com
- Applied art, such as ceramics, painting, or photography; dance, theater; computer science, engineering
- Physical education; courses tailored for a specific vocation, such as auto mechanics, law, nursing, or optometry
- English courses taken at international institutions where English is not the official language
- English as a Second Language