Credit Transfer Agreement

Berklee College of Music has established agreements with a number of two- and three-year institutions with contemporary music programs whose course offerings are similar to those offered by Berklee. These agreements allow you to enroll in a prescribed program at any one of these institutions and, upon completion, receive direct credits for equivalent Berklee music courses. This may reduce your required credits for completion of a Berklee program to as few as 48 for the diploma program, or 60 for the degree program (normally four semesters of full-time attendance in either case).

How the transfer credit agreement works:

  1. You enroll at a Berklee partner school with a transfer credit agreement.
  2. Berklee College of Music will supply you, upon request, with such study materials as are deemed appropriate, and will help monitor the progress of your studies at Berklee.
  3. You must take a prescribed course of study at your school, completing all the required courses with a satisfactory grade point average specified in each agreement.
  4. In order to graduate from Berklee, you must complete a minimum of four full-time semesters of study (60 credits for the degree, 48 credits for the diploma) at the college.
  5. You may apply to Berklee College of Music at any time while you are enrolled in the program at your school or at any time thereafter. Upon completion of the specified program, and review by the appropriate Berklee office, you will receive direct music transfer credit for Berklee courses as specified in each agreement.
  6. With your application to Berklee you must also provide a letter of support from an administrator at your school. This administrator is specified in each agreement.
  7. You should consult with the administrator specified in your school's agreement as soon as you decide to apply to Berklee as part of this program. Advisement and knowledge of your school's agreement with Berklee is very important for your successful transfer.

Upon completion of the transfer school program/acceptance to Berklee

Upon completion of the specific transfer program, and following acceptance of your application to Berklee by the Admissions Office, you will be considered a continuing student by the college. We will offer you the opportunity to register in advance for classes for fall (September), spring (January), or summer (May) semesters. Continuing students are required to participate in the registration process, which will allow you to select classes before you arrive at Berklee, and will help make your transition much smoother.

Selecting a major and listing your courses

Your eligibility for a course will depend on whether you have completed the prerequisites (if any) for that course. The courses that Berklee recognizes your having completed are the courses that will be listed on the transfer credit evaluation sent to you. If you are interested in a class for which you do not have the prerequisites, you must contact the Office of the Registrar so we can put you in touch with the appropriate department chair for consideration of a prerequisite waiver. Without this special consideration, the course in question may not be available to you. Your private instruction level assignment will be determined at check-in through an audition with your instrumental department.

If you have not yet decided which major to pursue at Berklee, you can refer to the Berklee College of Music Bulletin. Using the curriculum charts/grid listed for each major, note which courses you will need to take and make your choices accordingly. Use Berklee's registration manual to select class meeting times/sections that do not conflict with each other, and list these on the worksheet provided. Please use one worksheet to list your first choice and another to list your second choice for each course, in case the sections fill quickly. While we make every effort to accommodate your choices, there may be circumstances that preclude your getting all the courses you want.

To ensure that the registration process runs smoothly, please make sure that you have completed the following steps:

  1. Apply and get accepted to Berklee College of Music through the Admissions Office.
  2. Submit your tuition deposit. We will not be able to register you for any courses until we have received this deposit. Before paying the tuition deposit, please be sure you understand the policies listed in the Bulletin regarding the tuition deposit.
  3. Review the grid for your intended major and check the current registration manual for prerequisites. You will not be able to sign up for a class that requires certain prerequisites; for instance, you must successfully complete Harmony 1 before advancing to Harmony 2.

If you have any questions about the transfer credit process, please contact:

    • Returning and Special Student Groups Coordinator
      Office of the Registrar
      Berklee College of Music
      1140 Boylston Street
      Boston, MA 02215-3693
      Fax number: 617 747-8520
      Email address:

If you have any questions regarding the policies and procedures described above, please contact the Admissions Office's Assistant Director for International Students at or at 617 747-2222. You may also contact the returning student and special groups coordinator at or at 617 747-2242.

List of All Curriculum Transfer Agreement Schools